Saturday, October 14, 2023

MY FLY IS OPEN FOR VIEWING


If Aurora would have kept on making monster models, I'm sure they would have made a version of this, one of the creepiest sci-fi/horror movies to come out of the 1950s. The folks at Monarch Models went ahead and the result is one cool kit.

This scenario is from the first film, right down to the transmogrified fly with a human head! The kit is well-cast in plastic and most of the pieces actually joined pretty well. All of it is brush-painted with the exception of the lab coat which I spray-painted white. The eyes, head and claw are all built up with layers of green and blue pearlescent ink over a foundation of metallic bronze.

The toughest part was painting the control panel and I had the idea of adding LED lights, but I have so many other irons in the fire I just didn't want to take the time to do it. Mabe later, in my "spare" time!

Help meeee . . . !











2 comments:

  1. Nifty! I've never been much of a model maker myself, but I admire the craft. The Fly movies have a remarkable reputation with me, as one of those series that drops off exceedingly quickly with each lurid sequel. We get the black and white GIANT fly head in the second one and a horde of mutated humanity in the third. The first one though is elegant and somber and quite unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. None of the sequels match the creeping dread of the first. I liked Jeff Goldblum's over-the-top performance, but the movie was just too lurid for me, especially after seeing the first two. He even topped some of Nicolas Cages' roles in this one!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.