Monday, December 13, 2021

MY NIGHT WITH THE MONSTERS


I couldn't believe my eyes. Here it was February, 1999 and I was looking at an ad announcing that new prints of 12 of the classic Universal horror films would be showing in Seattle! For a number of reasons, I was able to go to only one of the showings, but it was way worth it.

The day came and I drove across the bridge over Lake Washington to downtown Seattle. The venue was an old Masonic Temple that had been converted into the Egyptian Theater. After paying for my ticket, I walked in and it was like walking into the past. Here were columns, statues and motifs of ancient Egypt that perfectly set the tone for my double-feature viewing of FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN. The new 35mm prints were stunning and the sound was perfect.

A once in a lifetime opportunity!



No comments: