Saturday, January 14, 2023

MY HOME-MADE MONSTER MAGAZINE (PART 1)


"I hope that you enjoy this issue. It is a unique form of writing that will make this magazine go fast and interesting." Cousin Crypt -- Monsters Magazine

Well, Monster Kids, here's another one of my homemade monster magazines that I dug up from the detritus in the cellar here at the Mysterious Mansion. It's hard to describe the thrills I had while making these and the anguish I feel now after having sliced and diced some true monster collectibles. It's okay, though, it was worth it at the time.

This is issue #16 of MONSTERS MAGAZINE, dated January, 1969. As you can see, it was quite an improvement from the slap-dash issue before it (see it HERE). Still, I was a little unfocused on the lettering and artwork, but heck I was an early teenager who was definitely not destined for art school! What I did put into it was my heart and soul and the fact that I could re-create a magazine "just like Forry" was reward enough.

Speaking of Forry, you'll notice some of the references and out-and-out swipes from FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. Well, FM was my touchstone monster mag in the day and if I was going to emulate any of them, that would be it (Charlton's MAD MONSTERS and HORROR MONSTERS and CRACKED'S FOR MONSTERS ONLY) were also influences).

This was probably my most text-heavy issue yet, with the articles on KING KONG and the fiction story, PORTRAIT OF A MONSTER. I even devoted a whole page to the editorial in which I discuss the passing of Boris Karloff.

Now, let's climb aboard the Wayback Machine and hitch a ride back to those halcyon years of homemade horror.

Does that title design look familiar?





My lamentation on the passing of Boris Karloff.

Well, it was rare at the time!

Dig that crazy "typesetting"!

I suggest not using rubber cement for archival purposes.

The misidentified hero.







The rest of the issue will be right here tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

An absolute delight! Thanks for sharing this.

Jack Seabrook said...

I love this.