Monday, January 30, 2023

DICK BRIEFER'S FRANKENSTEIN NO. 1


FRANKENSTEIN
Vol. 1, No. 1
1945 (February?)
Publisher: ?
Editor: Joe Genalo
Cover: Dick Briefer
Pages: 52
Cover price: 10 cents

Known for being the first continuing horror comic title, writer and artist Dick Briefer's version of the Frankenstein monster bounced back and forth off the operating table from serious to humorous. This series, beginning near the end of World War II, was of the humorous type and has since become recognized as a classic of its time.

The later comic, MELVIN MONSTER, by John Stanley looks to me to be influenced by Briefer's title.

NOTE: This scan contains the Frankenstein stories, but not the rest of the issue's content.

See more of Dick Briefer's monster art HERE.

See the Melvin Monster series HERE.












































2 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

This is such a zany comic book. I like the later horror phase of the book, but I love the funny version. I wish I had them all in reprint but I don't.

John said...

I plan to post more of these as time goes by.