Ring the bells, Quasimodo! To the joy of monster fans and the utter amazement of the scribe of this here blog, yet another new print monster mag has been launched. The first issue of MAD MONSTER was released just last week. Here is what the publisher has to say:
(April 7th, 2011 - Los Angeles, CA) - In the tradition of iconic horror mags of the past century, MAD MONSTER is creepy and creative entertainment and media commentary at its best. As early as 1896 when Georges Méliès presented his film, “House of the Devil”, Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies have captured the imagination of the public. And by the 1950’s “classic” horror magazines began to do more than just delight readers. These periodicals actually turned the spotlight from the stars in front of the camera to the artists and craftspeople behind the scenes - the people who MADE the monsters we love to loathe. Disciples of the monster mag movement turned out to be people like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Guillermo Del Toro, Tom Hanks, Billy Bob Thornton, Peter Jackson and many others.
Today, you may find a number of genre magazines that deal specifically with classic horror and some others that chronicle more contemporary faire. MAD MONSTER fills the gap between these bookends. New MAD MONSTER magazine is a purely modern magazine decked out in retro-style and always faithfully dropping a trail of dread-crumbs to lead the way from horrors of today, back to the origins of the most popular genres in our pop-culture. MAD MONSTER is informative, irreverent, challenging, titillating and always graphically and thematically innovative. How? Well here are a few ways:
- MAD MONSTER is published by creepy zodiac (12 issues annually + 1 special) and each issue incorporates the themes of its respective zodiac sign (subject matter, birthdays of subjects and other sign attributes).
- MAD MONSTER’s pages are all framed by ornate borders that integrate a different animated “flip-book” in each issue.
- MAD MONSTER features fun monster and horror themed activities (cutout paper models and puppets) and games (crossword puzzles, mazes and more).
- MAD MONSTER features recurring features like “Tales of Mad Science” profiling real life “Mad Scientists”. “Crypt Critters” showcasing insects and other critters in films and pop culture. And lots of “what if” articles that inspire, inform and entertain.
- MAD MONSTER is written and designed by horror writers, filmmakers, artists and musicians devoted to the genre.
MAD MONSTER is setting out to bring a new generation of horror seekers into the fold while paying respect to the classic horror fans that started it all! Horror, Fantasy and Sci-Fi are just other words for imagination and creativity. And we know from experience that a world filled with imagination is a world full of endless possibilities! MAD MONSTER continues our horror legacy by honoring, celebrating and reinventing it!
You can order your very own issue of MAD MONSTER #1 by scrolling down the sidebar to your right and clicking on the cover image.