Monday, April 11, 2011

RONDO AWARDS: THANK YOU!

Now that the smoke from the fireworks has cleared, the confetti has been vacuumed up and the shades are back on the table lamps, I've had a chance to let it all soak in. A couple of weeks ago, MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD earned "Honorable Mention" by the esteemed Rondo Awards in the Best Blog of 2010 category. I say "earned" because something like that just isn't given out like Tana fluid to a thirsty Mummy.

First, you have to be nominated. On the day that happened, I must say I felt a slight rush of excitement. Nothing special, mind you -- just something akin to a werewolf staring up at the first full moon of the month.

I have to admit that Iwas a little new to all this. You see, I began this blog just a year ago this month. Before launching my own, I had visited a number of monster and horror blogs during the preceding few months, so I had picked up a little on what a "Rondo" was. It seemed a little funky and provincial at the time, but the name kept popping up in quite a number of spots. Since then I have come to realize that the Rondos are pretty much horror entertainment's version of the Oscars. So, when one is not only nominated, but wins or is runner up or honorably mentioned, it's no small thing, Brother Voodoo.

The way I understand it, the Rondos are headed up by a fellow by the name of David Colton who co-founded it with artist-extraordinaire Kerry Gammill, and are managed by a kind of advisory panel. But, when the voting starts, anyone can cast an email ballot. There's a spot for write-in votes, too (which I used myself for a couple of entries). This year almost 3,000 people voted. That ain't small Matango's, folks.



Now, I know that MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD didn't walk off with a Tim Linsey-cast Rondo bust this time around. But, I do know, however, that even winning an honorable mention is both a thrilling and humbling experience. No matter which way you drop the guillotine blade, the reality of it is that you are being recognized by both peers and fans for your accomplishment.

And that's where YOU come in, dear readers of this blog. If it weren't for you voting for what you like, this would have never happened. And for that, I'm am profusely thankful. Without your vote, I wouldn't have known just how regarded my blog is to fans, editors, and the rest of you Monserologists out there. Knowing this makes it all the more worthwhile.

Ironically, Rondo Hatton is one of my favorite movie monster players. When I first saw him lurking about as the infamous 'Oxton Creeper in SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE PEARL OF DEATH, I was hooked. This weird looking dude was spooky cool! Ever since, I've always reserved a spot for Rondo among my favorites. Hopefully, some time in the future I'll have a bust of him sitting right here next to me in the MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD Mysterious Mansion.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I do . . . posting stuff to the blog roll that I enjoy and hope that you do, too.

Thanks again, friends and fiends!

No comments: