Saturday, May 18, 2024

UNIVERSAL MONSTERS STAMPS


Issued on 30 September 1997 by the USPS, this set of commemorative stamps was released at Universal City on the first day of issue to launch National Stamp Collecting month. The monster theme was mainly intended to attract young people to stamp collecting. The images were painted by Thomas Blackshear, who himself was a monster fan. He said that the job was a "treat" as “monsters have always been a passion with me.  I used to collect Famous Monsters of Filmland when I was a kid… Also, I had almost every monster model kit that was ever put out.” 

Printed for Stamp Venturers by J.W. Fergusson & Sons of Richmond Virginia, there were 145,000,000 million produced and they are not hard to find these days at reasonable prices. However, one thing I didn't come across were sheets with this presentation folder. Click on the images to view the details.






2 comments:

  1. Great ! No monsters on French stamps to my knowledge, yet I used to collect them when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never much of a stamp collector. These I passed on, though that folder is a great piece. I do have the "Comic Strip Classics" stamps staring at me as I type this. I couldn't pass those up all those many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing advertising or hyperlinks that take readers off this page will be deleted. Comments for posts older than five (5) days are moderated.