Friday, September 11, 2020

ROSEMIA'S BOO-BOO


I don't know about you, but I'm ready for some laughs today. The last few months have been about the strangest in my lifetime, and there seems like there's no letup in sight. So, instead of fretting about it, the best we can do is look ahead with as much optimism as we can muster and in the meantime, laugh while we can.

I was originally going to just post the spoof of ROSEMARY'S BABY from MAD magazine #124 (January 1969) today, but then I thought -- what the hell -- why not post the whole issue? If you're like me, you can use a few extra laughs.

This is humor from "the usual gang of idiots" -- Al Jaffe, Mort Drucker, Dave Berg, and a particular favorite of mine, Don Martin, the Master of Sound Effects. Like other humor and satire, the jokes are influenced by the times. But MAD, until DC took it over anyway, stayed clear of the nasty, mean and malicious (which I think had a lot to do with its eventual fade in readership), wouldn't stand down to any subject that was fodder for making fun at. Take for instance, the back cover, which pokes fun at cross-dressing, even using the "Q"-word for a satire on soda pop advertising.











































2 comments:

JMR777 said...

I know I'm a bit late posting this, but every thing old is new again, especially in the Mad section "Songs of Crime, Violence, War, Hate, Bigotry, The Lunatic Fringe, and All-Around Ecchiness". 2020 has turned into a rerun of 1969.

John said...

It's not hard to see many similarities.