Saturday, September 19, 2020

BASIL GOGOS PREMIUM ART



"This book is a loving tribute to all of Basil’s fans. They love the Monsters, this is for them,"
-Linda Touby

When I received my copy last year of THE MONSTER ART OF BASIL GOGOS from Fantaco Enterprises, I was blown away by the quality of the images. I also knew immediately that this was not going to be just another book of cover images and portraits. Linda Touby, Basil Gogos' wife and herself an artist, provides the reader with the process that he used for a lot of his now iconic images.

There is not much text other than a short introduction and a running commentary through the book (and I was hoping to see more on his technique), but the pictures speak much louder than words. Gogos was truly one of a kind.

Included with my shipment were these items as a surprise "premium", I surmise. In any event, the publisher was very generous to add these and I share them with you today.

On a side note, a few of the images are from Gogos' proposed paintings for the 1997 Universal Monsters series of USPS postal stamps. The project eventually went to artist Thomas Blackshear, who did a fantastic job, but emulated Gogos' style. Miss Touby said about Gogos' reaction, "It broke his heart".








No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.