Monday, December 24, 2018

DEADTIME STORIES NO. 43: CHRISTMAS EVE TALE OF TERROR


I don't remember exactly where I acquired it now, but I certainly remember reading it -- as I have done so numerous times over the last 50-plus years that I've had it on my bookshelf. The book? Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Bar the Doors (Dell 1965). First published in 1946, this scan is from the 4th printing, but the first with the new Dell paperback series numbering.

With an amorphous Hitchcock (drawn by Fred Banberry) bidding you entry into his haunted library, the reader will be treated to 13 of the best tales of terror between two covers. I have chosen this particular story for tonight's Christmas Eve tale of horror because I've never forgotten it -- and I doubt you will too after reading it. Written by World War I correspondent, The New Yorker critic and member of the legendary Algonquin Round Table luncheon club, Alexander Wollcott (1887-1943) has here penned a tale that will send delicious shivers down your spine.





No comments: