Thanks for these tempting glimpses of these early potent Warren issues. A lot of great talent swung through those halls, mostly due to Archie Goodwin's great writing and editing.
Thanks for the info on "Vampire Slayer". This is the first time I've seen it, and was thinking that Joe's art looks a little off. After reading you intro I see it immediately now. Jerry's so good!
Rip: Potent is a good term. Goodwin had his formula down and the artists matched it with their own, still viable style. A great period for horror comics fans.
I learned about his work for Eisner only several years ago. The first time I saw a "Dr. Drew", I thought it was Eisner. I was really introduced to his work when I was picking up a lot of the DC horror comics in the '70's.
One can easily say that he "transformed" Orlando's pencils until they were nearly unrecognizable. Orlando got full credit when first published and I'm sure the lion's share of the page fee, too. The Dr. Drew stories are super. Dark Horse published a remastered collection of the stories some years ago and I think it's still in print.
Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.
NOTICE! Comments containing advertising or hyperlinks that take readers off this page will be deleted. Comments for posts older than five (5) days are moderated.
Thanks for these tempting glimpses of these early potent Warren issues. A lot of great talent swung through those halls, mostly due to Archie Goodwin's great writing and editing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info on "Vampire Slayer". This is the first time I've seen it, and was thinking that Joe's art looks a little off. After reading you intro I see it immediately now. Jerry's so good!
ReplyDeleteRip: Potent is a good term. Goodwin had his formula down and the artists matched it with their own, still viable style. A great period for horror comics fans.
ReplyDeleteRickH: Grandenetti ghosted for Orlando at DC as well around the same time. I also really liked his work under Eisner, too.
ReplyDeleteI learned about his work for Eisner only several years ago. The first time I saw a "Dr. Drew", I thought it was Eisner. I was really introduced to his work when I was picking up a lot of the DC horror comics in the '70's.
DeleteOne can easily say that he "transformed" Orlando's pencils until they were nearly unrecognizable. Orlando got full credit when first published and I'm sure the lion's share of the page fee, too. The Dr. Drew stories are super. Dark Horse published a remastered collection of the stories some years ago and I think it's still in print.
ReplyDelete