Saturday, December 3, 2022

A TRIBUTE TO STEPHEN FABIAN


After coming across one of his images recently, it occurred to me that I haven't yet posted anything about one of the great illustrators, Stephen Fabian. Now 92 years-old, Mr. Fabian's immediately recognizable style can be compared to Virgil Finley and Hannes Bok, two of his early influences. Self-taught, his meticulous textured drawings and design elements are a hallmark of his work, along with his imaginative paintings and impeccable female nudes. His work spans across the genres of fantasy, science-fiction, horror, sword and sorcery and even role-playing games. Many of his pieces have depicted scenes from the stories of Robert E. Howard, especially Conan. Several thematic portfolios of his art have been published over the years and I am happy to say that I purchased his Queen of the Black Coast collection from House of Fantasy in 1976.

I am pleased to present these examples of Mr. Fabian's work.





























1 comment:

Rip Jagger said...

I adore Stephen Fabian. Back in the 70's his artwork adorned many a sci-fi mag I picked up with glee. It's nice to see all this wonderful work in one place. Thanks.