Wednesday, August 15, 2012

GHOUL GIGGLES


You may recall from my post last week that one of the features that I included in my first home-made monster magazine called -- verrrry cleverly, I might add -- MONSTERS MAGAZINE, was a humor page entitled Ghoul Giggles. A nice, attention-grabbing bit of alliteration, don't you think?

You may remember that I also mentioned that it wasn't a wholly original title. In fact, consciously or not, I ripped it off from the Charlton monster mags, MAD MONSTERS and HORROR MONSTERS. Blissfully oblivious to the big people's world of plagiarism and copyright infringement at the time, I probably didn't give it a second thought and doubt seriously that I will have to necessarily reap any karmic restitution about it, either.

Nevertheless, now that I am one of the "big people", I believe it only fair to give credit where credit is due. Determined to set the record straight, herewith you will find a couple of examples of the original Ghoul Giggles.

The way I see it, those Charlton monster mags left me with such a big impression that I naturally gravitatied to them (and a certain Mr. Ackerman's magazine of monster filmland), for an idea or 20 when making my own (extremely) short-run 'zine.

[From: MAD MONSTERS #6, Fall 1963]

[From: HORROR MONSTERS #10, Winter 1964-1965]

No comments: