Saturday, April 22, 2023

THE MERRY MARVEL MARCHING SOCIETY!



During the 1960's, most of the kids on my block were fanatical comic book readers. Some liked DC and some liked Marvel, but I think we equally enjoyed all of them. Around 1964, Marvel made a big push to be the top dog. One of their ideas was to promote a fan club, The Merry Marvel Marching Society. I think it cost a buck to join and kids were encouraged to start their own neighborhood chapters. Well, we did exactly that as you can see from the items pictured below.

The MMMS membership included a letter from the Marvel bullpen, a membership card, a button, a few stickers and one of those flimsy pieces of vinyl called a record. I've still got the button and the card somewhere, but couldn't find them for this post.

Our local fan club didn't last too long. Besides, we could better spend our time reading more comics!








Listen to the original "The Voices of Marvel" MMMS record!

3 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

I became a member just under the wire before they switched out to Marvelmania (which I also joined). I think I have my button still somewhere but the rest is gone alas.

John said...

They were fun times. It's nice to have some of the classic Marvel artists and creators immortalized on "disc".

Rip Jagger said...

By the time I joined the record was "The Merry Marvel Marching Society" song. It was in a green sleeve with the Hulk conducting an orchestra. Here's a link:

https://youtu.be/pB_v5w9NwUU