Saturday, April 8, 2023

HOMEMADE MONSTERS!


Cousin Crypt introduces the 21st issue of my homemade monster fanzine, MONSTERS MAGAZINE, a special 1970 Yearbook dedicated to Lon Chaney.

I was still using my trusty Adler manual typewriter for "typesetting" and spent a little more time on page design. For instance, I used the black paper inserts from page protectors for classy-looking layouts for the Chaney tribute. A side benefit of clicking away at the typewriter was that I later got an "A" in my typing class at school! Thanks to duplicate copies of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND I was able to fill the issue with photos. The influence of FM was, of course, evident throughout. Lettering was still all done freehand.

The "Tail and Trident" logo on the editorial page I copped from -- of all things -- an image from a fireworks package! No need to explain where I got the cover logo from.

This issue was getting towards the end of the run of my homemade monster 'zine. I spent a few years enjoying the heck out of this project. As a matter of fact, one could say I'm still doing the same thing with this blog!

 I hope you enjoy rolling your cortexes over this magnificent achievement!


























3 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

Fantastic! That homemade masterpiece takes me back to days when all we had was paper, scissors, and a little glue. When mimeo ruled the world! Wonderful stuff!

RickH said...

That picture of that kid at the beginning is the scariest thing in the article, lol!

John said...

Rip, and thanks to my friend's Dad who owned a typewriter shop and kept us supplied with copy paper!

Rick, couldn't pass up using this goofy kid somewhere!