Friday, April 14, 2023

THE GODS OF JOE STATON


Now 75-years old and still active, Joe Staton has been a comics artist for decades. Staton got his start at Charlton, where he and Nicola Cuti created one of Charlton's most popular heroes, E-Man. Among many others, he worked for DC, Marvel and Warren and drew the Dick Tracy comic strip for 10 years in the 2000's.


Now considered "hard-to-find", one of his greatest accomplishments was the unique 3-issue, newspaper-sized series, THE GODS OF MOUNT OLYMPUS. Independently produced in 1974 by Quintessence Publications, it was drawn by Staton and written by Johnny Achziger. Included with the first issue was a poster (seen below). I purchased the trio back in '74 and I believe at the time it was only available through the mail.


Staton illustrated numerous supernatural comics for Charlton, including this one, GHOSTLY HAUNTS (#28, December 1972). His story, "No Way Out" has a character that is very much inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Other art is by Steve Ditko and Jack Abel.

NOTE: Ads have been removed.


























2 comments:

  1. I am exceedingly jealous. I've long wanted Gods of Olympus, but in 1974 I was not set up to order stuff like that (nor know of them). I fell in love with Staton of course when he did E-Man and eagerly sought out other comics he worked on like Primus, Space 1999, among others. His ghostly tales have that lovely early charm his style possessed back then before it got a bit leaner and more efficient. Right now his original black and white E-Man poster stares down at me as I sit at my computer. Gods of Olympus is awesome! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see if I can get them scanned and posted.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.