Monday, November 6, 2023

A FESTIVAL OF HORROR


Early evidence of the 1960's Monster Craze began with the legendary Screen Gems Shock package in 1958. Movie theaters also re-released monster movies and found they were still moneymakers. Something that you don't see much or anything more of is the ballyhoo that theaters did like dressing up the front of the movie house, as well as tons of promotions, give-aways and gimmicks. This article from the January 28, 1959 issue of MOTION PICTURE DISTRIBUTOR tells of one such theater that was recognized for its elaborate advertising of a "Festival of Horror".

2 comments:

  1. Going to the movies is quietly slipping out of the culture, I think. Theaters are under pressure all the time to find product which will lure folks out of the comfort of their homes for a big screen experience. I heard the recent blockbuster Taylor Swift concert which was distributed to theaters was a great boon for a business which needs a shot in the arm. I know personally that since the pandemic, I've been in the theater maybe twice. I'll go for the upcoming Godzilla Zero movie when it shows up, and for things like that but even the Marvel movies don't get me out to the cinema anymore. I just wait for the streaming release which is not usually longer than what once was just called a second run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I went to a movie that felt like an event was in 1973 when I went to the premiere of The Exorcist. There wasn't any ballyhoo like shown in the article, but the electricity caused by the anticipation of the huge crowd more than made up for it!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.