Sunday, August 18, 2024

MY FIRST MONSTER COMICS (PART 1)


In 1964, I spent the last week of school at my Grandmother's house. My parents had bought a new home some distance away and we had to be out of our old one before I could finish school. Gram was a great babysitter but there was only so much she could entertain me with. As a result, I had quite a bit of time on my hands . . . and a little bit of money in my pocket.

So, one afternoon I hoofed it by myself down to the local shopping center about a mile or so away and visited the drugstore that had always had a supply of candy, baseball cards and a couple spinner racks full of comics. I had a blossoming (my parents would say festering) interest in monsters at the time and had already enjoyed a steady dose of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND, MAD MONSTERS and HORROR MONSTERS from my older neighbor (the vile things weren't allowed in our house). I also managed to sneak a number of late night monster movies with TV hosts I can't remember.

My fondness for Archie Comics and superheros was easily forgotten when I came across two comics that I grabbed off the rack so fast the staples could have popped out of their binding.

The first was this great-looking Dell comic titled simply, FRANKENSTEIN, with the exciting subtitle, "THE MONSTER IS BACK!!!" . The cover image (in an incongruous modern setting no less by the talented illustrator Vic Prezio) bore a striking resemblance to the Karloff version that I knew from monster magazines and had seen on TV. I quickly flipped through it and noticed that the inside content looked nothing like the movie, but I didn't care -- this was a monster comic and it was all mine for only 12 cents! It was much later when I noticed that this was an "authorized" version licensed by Universal. Maybe they only let Dell use Karloff's likeness on the cover because it sure didn't look much like him in the story! However, there were a few panels that looked like they had been lifted from the movie. One example is on the last page in the next to the last panel that shows the monster in a similar pose when he perishes inside the burning windmill -- only this time he meets his destruction on a ship. Henry Frankenstein looked sort of like Colin Clive, but Fritz was way off the mark even if he did escape his hanging in the monster's lair and lived through the story (the Code wouldn't have stood for that!). Like I said, I didn't care!

With a cover date of August-October 1964, it was edited by the ubiquitous D.J. Arneson, and the adaptation was scripted by Don Segall and illustrated by Bob Jenney. Segall also wrote for a few of Dell's Four Color Comics, Margie, Beany and Cecil and Kona, including adaptations of THE MUMMY and Roger Corman's THE RAVEN. Bob Jenney was fairly prolific and drew for Dell and Fiction House in the 30's and 40's and later worked for Warren.The story itself? Loose as a bedsheet on a broomstick! I didn't care!

Anyway, this is it -- the first monster comic that I ever bought with my own money!


































Oh, and the second comic I bought that day? That I'll share in a later post.

6 comments:

  1. ...Fritz was way off the mark even if he did escape his hanging in the monster's lair and lived through the story (the Code wouldn't have stood for that!).

    Dell (and Gold Key) never submitted their books to the CCA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant as a figure of speech -- Dell and Gold Key did not volunteer for Code approval because their strict editorial policy for keeping their titles "wholesome" and "kid-friendly" always remained in bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah-- they actually had some sort of official "Pledge to Parents" that ran in a little box in a lot of their comics even in the '60s-- at least in the Dell Comics (not sure about the Gold Key titles).

    Seeing that declaration as a kid always used to weird me out a little, especially when it was attached to something as innocuous as LITTLE LULU. It made me wonder if they were implying that reading a Marvel or DC comic wasn't actually as "safe" as that little Comics Code "stamp" in the upper corner of a comic cover suggested.

    (The other thing Dell and maybe Gold Key did that attracted my notice as a kid was a little designation on some stories that read "REPRINTED BY POPULAR DEMAND". It kind of looked like somebody had just applied a rubber stamp to one panel of the first page of a story.

    I asked my Dad who were all these people who would be demanding a reprinting of an old LITTLE LULU story-- and without missing a beat he replied, "The entire editorial staff and accounting department.")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the comics during that era with little or no knowledge of what the heck that weird postage stamp on the cover was supposed to mean. It was not too much later, however, that I became "enlightened".

    This Frankenstein comic has "Reprinted by popular demand" in the indicia at the bottom. Well, it was the second edition . . .

    Your Dad's quip is priceless! And I believe he was more than likely spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up a copy of this just a few years ago. It's pretty beat up, but it was still a dandy read. I would have to say my first "monster" comic was an early issue The Incredible Hulk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That counts -- when Bruce Banner yells "Hulk Smash!", you know he is a monster, especially with Kirby's history!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing advertising or hyperlinks that take readers off this page will be deleted. Comments for posts older than five (5) days are moderated.