Friday, June 16, 2023

MY FAVORITE HORROR, SUPERNATURAL AND MYSTERY BOOKS (PART 3)


Over the years, I have amassed what I believe to be a fairly comprehensive library of non-fiction horror film history. Ranging from biographies to themed books they always come in handy for researching various articles (including posts for WOM), as well as offered a continuous source of reading for pure enjoyment. In this collection, I still have few that I purchased many years ago and remain near and dear to my tell-tale heart.

One of these is Denis Gifford's A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF HORROR MOVIES. First published in the U.K. in 1973 and in the U.S. in 1974, it is an over-sized hardback that covers the gamut of horror films from the silents until the then present-day. Forry didn't have the market on film stills as Mr. Gifford delivers a visual feast of photos from his private collection and their large size helps them to jump right off the page. His accompanying text is also well-written in a manner that is easily digestible for young and mature readers alike. A good book to have on any Monsterologists bookshelf!





See my other favorite books HERE.

2 comments:

  1. There was something so exciting and enticing about those vintage stills. Images torn from context which made the imagination rumble. I've now seen so many of the movies which I was taunted by in my youth, and sometimes the wanting is better than the watching. But that's so with many things I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings to mind my series of posts, "What Scared Me?". They terrified this young Monster Kid back in the day but when I watch them now, I don't see what all the fuss was about!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.