Saturday, May 13, 2023

HAMILTON'S INVADERS!


In 1964, kids got a thrilling surprise with the release of the toy set, Hamilton's Invaders. Found in the phone book-sized Sears catalog was an ad for this exciting new playset that included giant bugs, army men and vehicles. Produced by Remco, the monster insects with names like Horrible Hamilton, Yellow Spider and Yellow Beetle were garishly painted and were propelled by a pull string motor. To add to the fun, a plastic helmet and grenade pistol were accompaniments.

For some reason the set was only sold in 1964, after which it disappeared, thus making it an expensive collector's item today for boomers who want to re-experience their childhood through toys.

NOTE: Images are from various auction sites.

























Ad from Ebony Magazine, Dec. 1964.


2 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

It's so rare that someone brings up something from the 60's (or 70's even) that I've never heard of, but you've done it. I was an avid Wish Book reader each season, but I have no recollection of his toy. Amazing! Thanks.

John said...

I just remember that my parents wouldn't let me have one!