Friday, July 23, 2021

WOOD WAS HERE


The year was 1973 and I was heavily into buying and collecting comics and, of course, monster magazines. I was also interested in vintage cartoons (Max Fleischer's were a particular favorite) and the great artists that made them. It was a few years later that I was lucky enough to get into the animation industry, working for Hanna-Barbera, Ralph Bakshi, and others.

One of my favorite comic artists at the time (and still is) was Wally Wood. I loved his work on the early Marvel DAREDEVIL series, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS and the Warren horror comic magazines. So when I heard that he had started up a fan club called the Friends of Odkin, I jumped on it.

The initial package I received direct from Wally contained a membership card, a certificate, a diploma from "The Wally Wood School of Comic Art", and best of all, an original sketch of his character, Sally Forth signed personally to me (which would come later -- see letter below). Needless to say, I was thrilled.

While the club remained functioning, Wally would send an occasional newsletter as well as offers for various publications featuring his work and they would usually come signed.

Shown here today is my collection of membership goodies that has remained in my collection for almost 50 years!





No comments: