Monday, April 6, 2020

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE MYSTERIOUS MANSION


When I got the message last week that Barnes & Noble were shuttering their brick and mortar stores for the sake of COVID-19 social distancing, I realized that my "lifeline" to monster 'zines had been suddenly severed. Granted, my purchases have been downsized as of late because, a) it's getting pretty expensive to buy an armload of magazine these days and, b) I just can't read 'em all!

But, even though my selection of titles has dwindled, I still relied on the Great and Mighty B&N for ALL my 'zine needs. Who woulda thought, huh?

So, until the USPS closes its doors (which I highly doubt, but you never know), I will be purchasing my monster 'zines direct from the publisher or through specialty distributors.

So, here's my point: Now is not to forsake our many wonderful monster film and other genre magazines out there. It is going to be doubly harder for them to survive for too long in this climate. As you know, this blog -- WORLD OF MONSTERS -- has been titled MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD for nine out of its ten years of existence, and monster 'zines are at the core of its content. Without them I believe we would be losing one of the most unique elements of printed popular culture and the last remaining hold-in-your-hands resource to enjoy our beloved films long after we have watched them -- just like FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND did way back in 1958.

So, go on -- pick a title or two and support them through this real-life attack of tiny monsters called a virus so that when things finally return to "normal", we'll still have them for entertainment, education and to escape the real-world worries that always seem to be scratching at our door.

To get you started, just scroll down this blog page and start clicking on the monster magazine buttons shown under the "Monster Magazine Newsstand" title on the left sidebar.

Thanks for listening and stay safe.

5 comments:

  1. have not gotten to go purchase such in years... no longer a place (less than well over an hour drive) near here

    ReplyDelete
  2. even Walden's closed a while back

    ReplyDelete
  3. B&N is closed only temporarily according to their message. I hope that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are dark times indeed, and dark days ahead.

    Is there a way to contact the monster magazines and see if they could set up a digital version for sale for download via the net? I was never a monster mag fan myself so I wouldn't know where to start in contacting them. I hope you could pass on the idea to the monster mags so they can stay afloat during these terrible times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many 'zines do offer digital copies of their publications. I'll see if I can put together a list of links.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.