Friday, July 8, 2011

LOM HINKY SHALL NOT DIE . . . PETE VON SHOLLY SAYS SO!



I've only got to know Pete Von Sholly just recently, but already I find him to be a great guy and a great artist, with a helluva sense of humor. Of course I already knew the last part after I read his hilarious homage to vintage monster magazines, and in particular, FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND, entitled -- take a deep breath now -- CRAZY HIP GROOVY GO GO WAY OUT! MONSTERS, published by TWO MORROWS back in 2004.

Pete and his partner in comic crime, a mysteriously-named "Van Cleave" (but a great one for a monster 'zine) put together two issues of the most rib-tickling, side-splitting, foam-out-the-nose-producing monster humor mags that I have ever had the pleasure of laughing the most with.

I'm not kidding. Outside of the obvious cleverness behind the concept, I found myself laughing out loud many times while reading this 'zine. Just their spoof of Forry on the ridiculously silly contents page is enough to get you going. "Corn on Macabre" -- doesn't that just about capture the overall tone of FJA's writing style in FM?

I've yapped on long enough. Take a look at some sample pages here. If you like them (and if you don't, you're part of the problem and not the solution, buddy!), you can still buy them at the TWO MORROWS website. At the time of this writing, the mags are all 15% off.

Thanks bunches, Pete! You're more monkey than a fun of barrels!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, monster lover! Thank you for leaving a comment at WORLD OF MONSTERS!.

NOTICE! Comments containing promotion, advertising or hyperlinks will be deleted.