Saturday, May 26, 2012

THE COMPLETE FXRH!



It was almost 40 years ago, on a warm April day in 1973, that I sat in a Hollywood theater, enthralled by the movie magic that Ray Harryhausen had once again created in the film, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. The cool John Philip Law Sinbad, the slave girl Margiana, played by the foxy Caroline Munro, and the uber evil of Koura, played by the great Tom Baker, all were combined and made into a superb fantasy film by director Gordon Hessler. I practically had the theater to myself that afternoon, and sat in the upper balcony, so captivated by the master movie alchemist's work that I stayed for a second showing.

I think you would agree, however, that GOLDEN VOYAGE would have been just another passable genre flick if it weren't for the genius of Ray Harryhausen.

What can you say about this guy? The moment I saw one of his movies, I wanted to do what he did, even going so far at one point, to build a few rudimentary armatures and storyboards. I had been way into Harryhausen before seeing this movie. I had even been fortunate enough to purchase a copy of the fan magazine FXRH (#4, 1974). Mind you, this was during the period when monster "how-to's" were scarcer than seeing an ape on top of the Empire State Building. But FXRH was a true fan's magazine, and covered lots of inside stuff about Harryhausen's unique craft.

Now,  ARCHIVE EDITIONS will be releasing a compilation of all four issues of FXRH in a limited edition hardcover of these sometimes tough to find and usually pricey, 'zines. Fans of Harryhausen, rejoice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, 40 years ago. Time flies.....

John said...

Okay, okay -- I'm going through that denial of my age phase!